At Rooftop Films, we believe that film is powerful, not only as a creative medium, but as a vehicle for engaging in valuable dialogue with one another about the issues facing our communities. By bringing films directly to audiences, we foster connections between neighbors, artists, activists, youth and the unique spaces we all share.
A growing nonprofit organization, our mission at Rooftop Films is to engage and inspire diverse communities by showcasing the work of emerging filmmakers in outdoor locations, helping filmmakers to produce new films, and renting equipment & supporting film screenings citywide at low-cost to artists, nonprofits and community groups.
Rooftop Films is more than a film festival. We are a community. For over 24 years, Rooftop Films has been championing the work of independent filmmakers and bringing films rooted in compassion, solidarity, learning, togetherness, exploration, and inspiration to tens of thousands of people across all five boroughs of New York City.
We would love to have you join our team!
Now Accepting Applications for the Following Positions:
Rooftop Films’ Finance Manager is a skilled, non-profit finance professional with an appreciation for film and a detail-oriented, organized, and collaborative problem solver. The Finance Manager plays a key role in managing Rooftop Films’ organizational accounting and is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the general ledger. This is a part-time (3 days per week), year-round salaried position, eligible for full benefits. The Finance Manager reports to the President.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the general accounting of the organization, including, among other things, journal entries, cash disbursements, accounts payable, cash receipts, accounts receivable, reconciliation of bank accounts, and adjusting journal entries
- Ongoing management of the general ledger
- Assist in preparation and monitoring of the operating budget working closely with President
- Process accounts payable and receivable, and manage resolution of billing issues
- Manage bank card expenses and staff reimbursement process
- Process, allocate and enter bi-weekly payroll
- Execute month-end close, including preparation of financial reports
- Prepare short- and long-term cash flow analyses
- Support the annual budgeting process, quarterly reporting, and annual audit
- Assist with implementation of accounting platform
- Assist with HR duties, including onboarding new employees, benefits administration, and employee record keeping
- Engage with staff for purposes of financial training and budget monitoring
- Develop effective and efficient procedures to maximize organizational resources
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications and Qualities
- BA in accounting or finance, and four or more years of non-profit experience
- Knowledge of accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and GAAP
- Proficient in QuickBooks Online
- Familiar with third party payroll processing
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work toward solutions that benefit the organization
- Impeccable attention to detail and excellent organizational, planning, prioritizing, and time management skills
- Strong computer skills essential; intermediate to advanced Excel user
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
Rooftop Films is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to building a culturally diverse staff and an inclusive work environment, and strongly encourages people of all backgrounds, abilities, gender expressions, ethnicities, races, sexual orientations, religions, and nationalities to apply.
Interested candidates should submit résumé and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name with subject FINANCE MANAGER to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only résumés and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
As a non-profit arts organization, we depend on volunteers for our growth and success! Working with Rooftop is a great opportunity to see fantastic movies (for free, of course!), learn about the inner workings of film festivals, get to know our staff, and meet the artists whose work we screen. We consistently seek volunteers for over 40 shows during our Summer Series—and you can help out at as many or as few as you’d like to.
If you’re interested in volunteering, please register here.
(Just follow the link, click “Join Organization” in upper right hand corner, then select “register new account.”)
Already registered with us as a volunteer? Click here to log in to your account to sign up for shifts.