At Rooftop Films, we believe that film is powerful, not only as a creative medium, but as a vehicle for engaging in valuable dialogue with one another about the issues facing our communities. By bringing films directly to audiences, we foster connections between neighbors, artists, activists, youth and the unique spaces we all share.
A growing nonprofit organization, our mission at Rooftop Films is to engage and inspire diverse communities by showcasing the work of emerging filmmakers in outdoor locations, helping filmmakers to produce new films, and renting equipment & supporting film screenings citywide at low-cost to artists, nonprofits and community groups.
Rooftop Films is more than a film festival. We are a community. For over 24 years, Rooftop Films has been championing the work of independent filmmakers and bringing films rooted in compassion, solidarity, learning, togetherness, exploration, and inspiration to tens of thousands of people across all five boroughs of New York City.
We would love to have you join our team!
Now Accepting Applications for the Following Positions:
Rooftop Films’ Finance Manager is a skilled, non-profit finance professional with an appreciation for film and a detail-oriented, organized, and collaborative problem solver. The Finance Manager plays a key role in managing Rooftop Films’ organizational accounting and is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the general ledger. This is a part-time (3 days per week), year-round salaried position, eligible for full benefits. The Finance Manager reports to the President.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage the general accounting of the organization, including, among other things, journal entries, cash disbursements, accounts payable, cash receipts, accounts receivable, reconciliation of bank accounts, and adjusting journal entries
- Ongoing management of the general ledger
- Assist in preparation and monitoring of the operating budget working closely with President
- Process accounts payable and receivable, and manage resolution of billing issues
- Manage bank card expenses and staff reimbursement process
- Process, allocate and enter bi-weekly payroll
- Execute month-end close, including preparation of financial reports
- Prepare short- and long-term cash flow analyses
- Support the annual budgeting process, quarterly reporting, and annual audit
- Assist with implementation of accounting platform
- Assist with HR duties, including onboarding new employees, benefits administration, and employee record keeping
- Engage with staff for purposes of financial training and budget monitoring
- Develop effective and efficient procedures to maximize organizational resources
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Qualifications and Qualities
- BA in accounting or finance, and four or more years of non-profit experience
- Knowledge of accounting, budgeting, cost accounting and cost control principles, and GAAP
- Proficient in QuickBooks Online
- Familiar with third party payroll processing
- A demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to work toward solutions that benefit the organization
- Impeccable attention to detail and excellent organizational, planning, prioritizing, and time management skills
- Strong computer skills essential; intermediate to advanced Excel user
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Please provide salary requirements with your application.
Rooftop Films is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to building a culturally diverse staff and an inclusive work environment, and strongly encourages people of all backgrounds, abilities, gender expressions, ethnicities, races, sexual orientations, religions, and nationalities to apply.
Interested candidates should submit résumé and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name with subject FINANCE MANAGER to email@example.com. Only résumés and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
Video Engineers install, operate, and troubleshoot video equipment for Rooftop Films’ Summer Series outdoor screenings. Under the supervision of our lead technicians, video engineers setup, calibrate and breakdown our video systems, and run video for feature, documentary, and short film programs.
Video engineers meet on-site at one of our many venues and work through the set-up and breakdown of the event and leave from the site. Because we screen in all 5 boroughs and occasionally out-of-state applicants should be prepared for a variety of work environments.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist Lead Technician, and Audio Engineer with the staging and setup of A/V equipment.
- Assembly and disassembly of rigging for projection, including the set-up of video components at the tech table.
- Calibrating and assessing projection ranges and determining which lenses are suitable.
- Able to troubleshoot and quickly make adjustments before screenings.
- Recovery and organization of equipment at end of night.
- Experience operating, configuring, and keystoning projectors.
- Experience with video switching.
- Experience with Playback Pro and Macs
- Knowledge of optimal projection placement.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs independently and to safely lift 50 lbs with assistance.
- Comfortable working outdoors in varying weather conditions.
- Adaptable to a flexible work schedule, including nights and weekends.
- Ability to troubleshoot, problem solve, and remain flexible under pressure.
- Willingness to play a fluid role as part of a small, tight-knit team, balancing professionalism and a great sense of humor.
Experience with any of the following is a plus, but not required:
- Working with DCP/DCI Compliant projection systems
- Working with surround sound setups
- Working with outdoor screening setups
- Projection Mapping
Technicians can expect to work between 25 and 40 hours per week from mid-May through August. Compensation is $25/hour.
Interested candidates should submit résumé and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved as candidate’s first and last name with subject VIDEO TECHNICIAN to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only résumés and cover letters submitted in this format will be reviewed. No phone calls, please.
Rooftop Films is seeking interns for the Fall semester of 2021 (Sept 13th- Dec 20th). We welcome students finishing their 1st year of college (or age equivalent) or above and all graduate students. Applications are due no later than Aug 25, 2021.
Internships at Rooftop Films are for school credit and our team is happy to work directly with your school to facilitate. Applicants are encouraged to check their school’s internship or field work credit requirements before applying. This is a virtual internship as our offices have not yet re-opened.
An internship with Rooftop Films is a great opportunity for graduate and undergraduate students studying film, marketing, media and/or communications to learn how a nonprofit film festival works and see hundreds of great movies.
An intern’s primary focus will be to work closely with members of the programming team to assist in the pre-screening and rating of film submissions, participating in all aspects of the programming process from submission to selection and screening. Interns will also assist the communications team with marketing and outreach efforts and, when permissible under current safety guidelines, participate on site in the general operations of Rooftop Films screenings, including on site activations and other front of house support duties.
Candidates must possess excellent organizational and communication skills and an enthusiasm for film criticism and/or curation. This internship is an excellent opportunity to participate in the programming process of Rooftop Films and a great way to learn the inner workings of a film festival.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Tracking and requesting new independent films
- Researching film festivals to track trends
- Organizing and maintaining film databases
- Pre-screening film festival submissions
- Contacting and corresponding with prospective filmmakers
- Assisting with operations of off-season projects, including:
- Fundraising administration
- Print Traffic
- General Office Work
- Anything else a candidate might be interested in
Candidates must have experience with:
- Google suite
- Microsoft suite
Bonus points for candidates with experience using:
- Adobe Suite (especially inDesign and Photoshop)
- Managing social media accounts (particularly Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram)
- Video editing software
- Digital photography
Interested candidates should submit a résumé and cover letter in a single Word or PDF document saved under the candidate’s first and last name to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
Rooftop Films is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to the goal of building a diverse and inclusive workplace.
As a non-profit arts organization, we depend on volunteers for our growth and success! Working with Rooftop is a great opportunity to see fantastic movies (for free, of course!), learn about the inner workings of film festivals, get to know our staff, and meet the artists whose work we screen. We consistently seek volunteers for over 40 shows during our Summer Series—and you can help out at as many or as few as you’d like to.
If you’re interested in volunteering, please register here.
(Just follow the link, click “Join Organization” in upper right hand corner, then select “register new account.”)
Already registered with us as a volunteer? Click here to log in to your account to sign up for shifts.