It’s that time of year again. Summer is over, fall has hit the air and it’s time to open submissions to the 2013 Summer Series! Starting in May 2013, we will begin to celebrate our 17th year of bringing the best independent films from around the world outdoors and to the rooftops of New York. Here’s your chance to be a part of one of the most unforgettable, unique, filmmaker-friendly, independent film events in the world! There are several great benefits to submitting your film to the Summer Series but here’s a concise list of the top 5 reasons:
- Everyone who submits their film gets TWO free tickets the 2013 Rooftop Films Summer Series (a $24 value) Regardless of whether your film is accepted, you still have a chance to check out our summer series, on the house.
- Submission cost is only $12! Well, that is if you submit by December 5th. Given the high submission costs of several festivals and the fact that you are probably broke after completing your film, we like to give a your pockets a little break.
- Eligible for completion funds! Each filmmaker that has screened at Rooftop Films is eligible to receive grants for future projects through the Rooftop Filmmakers’ Fund. Grants are not limited to cash-we have grants for production services through our wonderful local partners Edgeworx Studios, Eastern Effects, and The Adrienne Shelly Foundation, DCTV, and AT&T.
- Once you’ve screened your film with Rooftop Films, you’re kind of stuck with us for life. We pride ourselves on being a film community and as part of the Rooftop family, we will continue to brag about you promote your future work. Read more about all the services we provide to our filmmakers.
- Rooftop Films Summer Series is more than just a film festival-it’s an experience! We will put your film in front of a a diverse and engaged audience while billing each screening as an event with spectacular views, live music, and an after-party with free drinks.
Now that you have five great reasons to submit, here is the fine print to assist you in actually submitting:
Please read over the guidelines carefully.
Earlybird: $12, postmarked by December 5, 2012
Regular: $17 ($12 via WAB), postmarked by January 15, 2013
Late: $22 ($17 via WAB), postmarked by February 15, 2013
Without A Box Extended: $20, March 1, 2013*
*Without A Box members only.
Still need a reason to submit to Rooftop Films Summer Series? Hear from these filmmakers who’ve screened their films with us and have gone on to great success:
“My screening at Rooftop was one of the most memorable nights of my life—seeing my New York movie in a distinctly New York locale, with the most attractive, stylish and enthusiastic audience I can imagine. A light mist falling. Really, pinch me. Rooftop does more than program unusual films in remarkable locations (and vice versa)—it fosters a deep sense of community among New York independent filmmakers, one that is sorely needed. As trite as it sounds, Rooftop has made a lot of indie dreams possible—including my own.”
—Lena Dunham, Director of Tiny Furniture and creator and star of HBO’s Girls
“The audience numbers are mind-boggling. Most of the industry people I’ve met at other festivals seem to have seen my film at Rooftop, yet I think Rooftop is perhaps the only truly populist screening venue for underground movies in America. “
–Benh Zeitlin, Director, Beasts of the Southern Wild