Submissions are now CLOSED the 2015 Rooftop Films Summer Series. Submissions for the 2016 Summer Series will re-open in September.
• Rooftop Films accepts submissions of any length.
• Submissions can be of any genre or category.
• Submissions must be in English or have English subtitles and there must be a preview AND screening copy available in English or with English subtitles, excepting music videos and films without dialogue.
• If your film is accepted, Rooftop generally screens digital files but we can often assist filmmakers in making transfers from other types of masters if necessary. Unfortunately at this time, we do not screen DCPs.
•Rooftop Films accepts films of any length, format or genre. We are always in search of films that break down boundaries or feature innovative, personal, eccentric or hilariously innovative takes on old forms. We love animation of all forms, personal and political documentaries, satire, narrative comedies and drama, experimental and abstract films, found footage, detritus from the digital revolution and every other form of film or video art and entertainment. We screen hundreds of short and feature length films each summer and work tirelessly year round to bring these films to new audiences via tours, television programming and various forms of alternative distribution.
•Fiction Features are features length films, sixty minutes and longer. The film can be from any genre and in any format. We always search for films that break down boundaries or feature innovative, personal, and eccentric or hilariously takes on old forms. We love animation of all forms, satire, fiction comedies and drama, experimental and abstract films, and every other form of film or video art and entertainment. We screen dozens of feature length films each summer on Rooftops and various scenic locations all over New York.
•Fiction Shorts are short films 59 minutes and under. The film can be from any genre and in any format. We love animation of all forms, satire, comedies, and dramas, experimental and abstract films. We love animation of all forms, satire, fiction comedies and drama, experimental and abstract films, and every other form of film or video art and entertainment. We screen hundreds of short films each summer on Rooftops and various scenic locations all over New York.
•Documentary Features are non-fiction feature length films, sixty minutes and longer. We search for films that are innovative, and original. We accept all forms of documentaries from political to personal documentaries, found footage, detritus form the digital revolution and every other form of art and entertainment. We screen dozens of feature length documentaries each summer on Rooftops and various scenic locations all over New York.
•Documentary Shorts are non-fiction short films, 59 minutes and under. We accept documentaries from all genre, ranging from found footage, to animation documentaries, to personal and political, and every form of film and entertainment. We screen hundreds of short documentaries each summer on rooftops and various scenic locations all over New York.
III. Deadlines, Fees and Notification
All filmmakers who submit a film to Rooftop will receive TWO free passes to any single regularly priced ($13) Rooftop Films show. We couldn't have our festival without filmmakers, and even though we can't show all of your films, we hope you can participate in the festival even if your film isn't accepted. The tickets are transferable (in case you don't live in New York).
• To ensure that your film will be considered for the 2015 Summer Series your film must be postmarked on or before the applicable deadline. All films received late WILL be considered for the 2015 Summer Series. All on-time submissions for 2015 will be notified of their status in Spring of 2015 (all fees are in U.S. dollars ONLY, foreign currency cannot be accepted)::
Earlybird:$13, postmarked by December 5, 2014
Regular:$18 ($13 via WAB), postmarked by January 15, 2015
Late:$23 ($18 via WAB), postmarked by February 15, 2015
Without A Box Extended:$23, February 24, 2015*
*Without A Box members only.
• You can apply for a fee or deadline waiver at any time by emailing Rooftop Films Program Director Dan Nuxoll at dan * at * rooftopfilms * dot * com.
• The recommended submission fee can be paid via cash, money order, a check made out to Rooftop Films, or online via Without A Box.
• The submission fee need only be paid once per filmmaker or curator. You may submit as many films as you like without paying an additional fee.
• No films will be turned away due to lack of funds.
• All submission fees must be paid in U.S. currency. If you are submitting a film from outside the U.S., please pay with a credit card online or with a U.S. money order to avoid the conversion costs.
• Rooftop Films also accepts submissions of fully curated programs and works with other organizations to co-curate a program of films. If you would like to submit a curated program you need only pay one single submission fee.
• All filmmakers will receive notification, whether or not their film is chosen to screen as part of the summer series. Notifications will be sent out on or before June 1st. Please DO NOT contact us to find out whether or not your film has been received. We do not have a large enough staff to respond to such inquiries.
III. Previews & Entry Form
• Rooftop accepts submissions via online secure links or NTSC or PAL DVD (any region) and BluRay.
• All submissions not made through Without A Box must include our SUBMISSION FORM.
• Feel free to send along any additional press material, cast and crew bios or any other information about your film. We will say, however, that it will most likely NOT influence our selections in any way.
• Preview DVDs WILL NOT BE RETURNED. Please DO NOT send a self-addressed stamped envelope. DO NOT send a master tape as a preview copy.
• If your film is accepted, we will get a master tape from you, and will mail back masters at our expense.
• Please write or print your name, email, phone number, and the name of the film directly on the preview tape or DVD.
• Mail all submissions to:
285 Fifth Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215
IV. Screening Rights
• Should your work be selected to be part of the Rooftop Films Summer Series, Rooftop Films reserves the right to screen your film at any Rooftop screening throughout the summer, between the dates of May 10th and September 30th, 2015.
• After September 30th, 2015, Rooftop Films shall not screen any submitted films without the expressed consent of the filmmaker.
V. Attending the Festival
• Any filmmaker who submits a film for the 2015 Summer Series shall receive free admission for 2 to any single regular 2015 Summer Series screening, whether or not your film is accepted (some exceptions apply)
• Any filmmaker whose work is accepted as part of the 2014 Summer Series shall receive free admission for 2 to ALL of the regular 2015 Summer Series screenings (some exceptions apply)
• If your work is accepted as part of the 2015 Summer Series we would love for you to be able to attend the screening of your work. Unfortunately, Rooftop is not always able to provide transportation costs for filmmakers whose work we screen, but we will provide a place to stay in New York for a weekend.
VI. Rooftop Filmmakers' Fund
• No part of the Summer Series is competitive, as we hope to foster a mutually beneficial community of filmmakers, programmers and filmgoers. However, any artist whose work is selected to screen in any capacity becomes eligible to apply each year to the Rooftop Filmmakers' Fund which awards grants every year to be put toward future films and videos. To read more about our grants, visit http://rooftopfilms.com/produce.html